Before starting your work, make sure you understand the nature of the assignment.
- Read the assignment instructions more than once, making sure you understand what's expected.
- How many pages/words do you need to write? Your treatment of the topic you choose will need to fit the length of the assignment: if you have to write 10,000 words, you can write more about your topic than if you have to write 1000 words.
- If the assignment is a speech or presentation, how long does it have to be?
- Are there any guidelines about what kind of topic you can choose? Some instructors do not permit certain topics.
- Are there any types of sources that are required? Scholarly articles, books, websites?
- How many sources do you have to have, minimum?
- Is there research about your topic? Run a quick database search to see if there are sources about your topic. Not every topic is of interest to researchers.
- If you have any doubts, contact your instructor.